Michigan Tree Climbing Championship
The purpose of the Michigan Tree Climbing Championship is to provide a competitive learning environment for those working in the industry and to showcase the highest level of professional skills and safety.This event is open to the public at no cost. See details below for more information.
Professional tree climbing competitions are held around the world to provide a platform for arborists to learn about the latest in climbing techniques and innovations in equipment. The competitions simulate working conditions of arborists in the field. Male and female competitors perform five different events during preliminary rounds. Each event tests a competitor’s ability to professionally, and safely maneuver in a tree while performing work-related tree-care tasks in a timely manner.
Competitive tree climbing also introduces the public to the skills professional tree climbing arborists must use for safe, professional tree work. Bring your picnic supplies, chairs, and warm blankets to the competition and enjoy the competition.
Preliminary Qualifying Events
Competitors are scored individually in each event: Aerial Rescue, Work Climb, Ascent “Footlock”, Belayed Speed Climb, and Throwline. The competitor with the highest score is the winner of that event. First, second, and third place for men and women are awarded for each event.
Competitors’ total scores for all six events are combined and the male and female competitors with the highest combined score from the preliminary events move on to the Masters’ Challenge Championship.
Registration for the 2017 Event will begin June 1.
- 2017 – Midland, Mi – September 15-16
- 2018 – Shanty Creek Resort, Bellaire, MI – September 14-15
- 2019 – Traverse City, MI – September 13-14
- 2016 Charity Barnes – Guardian Tree Experts, Inc.
- 2016 Jake Carufel – Canopy Climber Tree Care
- 2015 Lucas Drews – Woodland Tree Services Inc.
- 2014 Kevin Bingham – Singing Tree
- 2013 Jack Richardson – Guardian Tree Experts, LLC
- 2013 Charity Barnes – Guardian Tree Experts, LLC